VISION: A health care system that’s there when Nova Scotians need it.
- • We will hire more doctors and medical specialists, and reduce wait times, by working with our doctors to get results.
- • We will double the tuition relief program for doctors and nurse practitioners who commit to practicing medicine in rural and underserviced communities.
- • We will become a leader in mental health research and innovation by establishing the Mental Health and Wellness Institute at a Nova Scotia university.
- • To better serve those with mental illness, we will establish mental health crisis centres to divert patients from Emergency Rooms to more appropriate care.
- • We will expand access to Mental Health Courts across the province.
- • A PC government will support Nova Scotians with mental illness through a direct tax rebate for those who rely on a psychiatric service dog.
- • We will make sure mental health services are available in all Nova Scotia schools.
BETTER HEALTH CARE
Too many Nova Scotians don’t have a family doctor and have lost hope of finding one. We can deliver better care by reducing overhead and bureaucracy within the health system and investing that money in frontline services.
- • We will work with Dalhousie University, the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS), Doctors Nova Scotia, the College of Physicians and Surgeons, and the health authority to look at the path from graduation to practice-ready to make it easier for qualified physicians who studied abroad to work here at home.
- • We will double the tuition relief program for doctors and nurse practitioners willing to practice in rural and underserviced communities.
- • We will invest $13.5 million in recruiting new doctors to Nova Scotia. We will work with doctors to get this right.
- • We will rein in the Nova Scotia Health Authority by requiring real administrative savings and invest those savings in frontline care. We will ensure they approve new doctors for communities who need them.
- • We will reduce out-of-pocket medical costs paid by Nova Scotian cancer patients. A PC government will treat oral cancer drugs and hospital-administered cancer treatment equally, as other provinces have done.
- • We will respect local decision-making by implementing site-based management at our regional hospitals, replacing the bureaucratic zone system in place now.
We will establish Mental Health Crisis Response Centres to divert people undergoing a mental health crisis from Emergency Rooms to a facility, staffed by trained mental health professionals, to receive appropriate and informed treatment.
We will work with the federal government to open a veteran-centred primary health care clinic to help our veterans for whom emergency rooms and clinics may trigger operational stress disorders.
Our government will create a $250 direct tax rebate for Nova Scotians who, through a medical diagnosis and treatment plan, rely on a psychiatric service dog.
A Jamie Baillie government will provide all students with access to in-school mental health services.
Mental illness affects one in five people, many of them young people. Our government will make Nova Scotia a leader in mental health research and innovation. We will create a Mental Health and Wellness Institute in concert with a Nova Scotia university and attract mental health experts.