HALIFAX, NS – Progressive Conservative Health critic Chris d’Entremont is fed-up with the McNeil government hiding the number of people on the waitlist for a family doctor.
The PC Caucus filed a freedom of information request with the Department of Health and Wellness and the Nova Scotia Health Authority last week, requesting the number of Nova Scotians on the waitlist. They also requested a copy of the rules and procedures for how the waitlist is administered. The department was unaware and said the wait list is the responsibility of the health authority. The health authority had 30 days to respond to the request but yesterday sent an email saying, “Unfortunately, we do not have the information at present. It is being compiled and is not ready to be released. I am closing your application with our office.”
d’Entremont says something is not right and Stephen McNeil’s government must explain.
“How can the McNeil government even speak about improving the waitlist numbers when they are clearly not keeping track of the number of people on it?” d’Entremont asks. “No wonder people are frustrated. They are desperately waiting for a family doctor, the McNeil government’s given them hope they are going to get a call but there aren’t even any documents as to how the new waitlist is being administered.”
The McNeil government launched a new public communications campaign, allowing a new waitlist option for people to call 811 on November 1, 2016. Those who had placed their name on a local wait list through Nova Scotia Health Authority before November 1 were to be automatically moved over to the new list.
d’Entremont says there must be records of the waitlist.
“Stephen McNeil broke his election promise of a doctor for every Nova Scotian and now won’t even tell us how many people are waiting on the list,” says d’Entremont. “People are sick of the PR stunts from the McNeil government. It’s time to get on with actually addressing the issues facing Nova Scotians.”