PRESIDENT, PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE PARTY OF NOVA SCOTIA
Tara Miller is a partner at MDW Law in Halifax and an active and engaged volunteer in her community. She is a longstanding Board member of Special Olympics Nova Scotia, a Board member of the Lawyers Insurance Association of NS, an executive member of the Canadian Bar Association’s Women Lawyers Forum and the Chair of the Fine Arts Parents Association. With two active children, she also spends a fair amount of time in hockey rinks, soccer and baseball fields.
Tara’s Progressive Conservative roots date back to her childhood and stuffing envelopes with her father during provincial and federal campaigns in Labrador. Her involvement in Nova Scotia politics began in the mid 90’s when she worked on Dr. Hamm’s leadership campaign and then his 1998 and 1999 election campaigns after moving to Nova Scotia to attend Acadia University and Dalhousie Law School.
She is tremendously proud of the PCNS party and its history in Nova Scotia including significant progressive social firsts which include being:
- the first to elect a female MLA
- the first to appoint a female cabinet minister
- the first to adopt Equal Pay for Equal Work legislation
- the first to protect Nova Scotians from discrimination on the basis of same sexual orientation
- the first to establish Freedom of Information legislation
- the first IN CANADA to recognize same-sex unions
- the first IN CANADA to invest in health promotion
- the first IN CANADA to create a Department of Immigration
Tara is honoured to be working with Jamie Baillie and all Nova Scotians to bring time-proven Progressive Conservative values of trust, accountability and compassion back to the Premier’s office.
“Jamie has the vision, the competence and the integrity required to build a sustainable Nova Scotia that our children and grandchildren will be able to call home” says Miller. “I’m excited about playing a big role on his team together with our PCNS family”.